- Posted by factorytile
- Concrete Tile, design, do it yourself, Factory Tile Depot
Cement tile has become a popular choice in North America in recent years, even though these tiles have been in use overseas since the 1870s. Extremely popular in Mediterranean spaces, they are often highly patterned with geometric and floral designs.
Benefits of Cement Tile
- Cement tiles are often one of the most environmentally friendly options. They’re made of natural components and pigments and aren’t fired, so they don’t use fossil fuels in their production.
- Cement tiles are available in a number of different bold colour choices and patterns—making them a perfect choice for a statement or accent wall.
Things to Remember When Installing Cement Tile
- Cement tiles are suitable for floor and wall application but are not recommended for showers or wet areas as they can cause efflorescence (the formation of salt on the surface of the tile when it becomes wet).
- The tiles should be sealed prior to installation and resealed every few months to help keep them preserved. Remember that cement tiles are delicate and are susceptible to slight chipping, which can add character and beauty to the tile.
- Installing cement tiles are still not that common here, and many installers are not familiar with the material or process. Make sure that your installer is comfortable with this product.
- They are thicker than most tiles. This will need to be taken into consideration when determining door hangs and floor transitions. Also, they are on the heavy side so your subfloor will need to be prepared accordingly.
Cement tiles can add a pop of colour and intrigue to a room—but they also come with a fair amount of maintenance work—i.e. sealing. Make sure you’re comfortable with the ins and outs of cement tiles before selecting them for your next tiling project.
Factory Tile Depot is your go-to for all things tile. Our experienced design teams are ready on site to assist you in choosing the right tile and associated materials for your next project.